Flu season is upon us. If you haven’t yet gotten your flu shot, it’s not too late. Give us a call to schedule an appointment, or stop in at your convenience. The Centers for Disease Control recommend that everyone age 6 months and older get a flu shot appropriate for their age and health status with any licensed influenza vaccine. Flu shots protect against the 3-4 most common strains of influenza virus expected to be most prevalent each year. The timing of flu outbreaks is unpredictable every year, and as of November 2019, the outbreaks have been minimal in Maryland. The predominant strain seen thus far is Influenza A (H3N2).
For more information on the flu, the Centers for Disease Control provides an excellent set of resources. The Maryland Department of Health also provides weekly updates on flu activity in Maryland through their FluWatch site.
Stay healthy this winter by getting your flu shot and maintaining healthy habits that limit the spread of germs. The CDC provides the following tips:
– Avoid close contact with people who are sick
– Stay home from work or school if you are sick.
– Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
– Wash your hands with soap and water, or an alcohol-based cleansing product.
– Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth if you may. Have touched something that could be contaminated with germs.
– Practice healthy habits including adequate sleep, exercise, hydration and nutrition.
– Keep the surfaces in your daily environment clean.
Here at Quality First Urgent Care, we are keeping a close eye on flu activity in Maryland and will be available to provide urgent care should you or your family members experience flu like symptoms.