We’ve all been there. One moment you’re fine, and the next, you’re struck by a sudden need to rush to the nearest restroom. It’s inconvenient, uncomfortable, and at times, alarming. One of the most common questions patients have is, “Should I go to urgent care for diarrhea?”
Consider the following:
Possible Causes of Diarrhea
Diarrhea can be caused by a myriad of factors:
- Infections: Viral, bacterial, or parasitic infections can lead to diarrhea. Common culprits include norovirus, E. coli, and salmonella.
- Food Intolerances: Lactose intolerance, for instance, can cause diarrhea when dairy products are consumed.
- Medications: Some medicines, such as antibiotics or magnesium-containing antacids, can lead to diarrhea as a side effect.
- Gastrointestinal Disorders: Conditions like irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease, or ulcerative colitis can cause recurring episodes.
- Other Causes: Overconsumption of caffeine or alcohol, undergoing chemotherapy, or undergoing surgery can also be factors.
Symptoms that Warrant an Urgent Care Visit
While an occasional episode of diarrhea might not be concerning, certain symptoms accompanying diarrhea should prompt you to seek medical attention:
- Prolonged diarrhea lasting more than 48 hours.
- Severe abdominal or rectal pain.
- Bloody or black stools.
- High fever.
- Signs of dehydration such as dark urine, dizziness, or excessive thirst.
How Can Urgent Care Help?
When you come to Quality First Urgent Care, you can count on receiving quick, efficient, and comprehensive care:
- Diagnosis: Our experienced practitioner will take a thorough health history and might recommend tests, such as stool samples or blood tests, to identify the cause of the diarrhea.
- Treatment: Depending on the cause of diarrhea, you may be prescribed medications, such as antibiotics (if bacterial infection is the cause) or given rehydration solutions.
- Advice & Relief: Practitioners can offer guidance on diet modifications and over-the-counter medications that can provide relief.
Remember, while diarrhea can often be managed at home, you should never hesitate to seek professional help if you notice worrisome symptoms. Your health and comfort are paramount. Schedule an appointment with Quality First Urgent Care today and get the expert care you deserve.